Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Green Library


Welcome! Please come in.

Spending time in my library with the just-my-size red overstuffed chair, all my books neatly lined up on the shelves, and the brass overhead lamp is a pleasure indeed. Have I told you that I have another library? Where, you ask? Craig's greenhouse will make a great library. It has just now been designated as my second library. It is in the back yard, so it will give me a completely different view that I can share with you. I just love this idea! So when I'm there, I will tell you. It has four glass walls, heat lamps for freezing weather, and shelves for potted plants. Daisy and I just went outside for a tour of library #2. There are nine geranium plants still blooming, the tomato plants gave up the ghost, and the wild grass on the floor (ground) has dried up. Even though it is a sunny day, it is 32 F. degrees and no one would want to read in there today, but maybe I will in the early summer before it get too hot.

Oh, I just remembered that I have the perfect books to put in the Green Library. First, let me give you a warning. Never store old books in a shed or barn. They will smell very musty and you won't want them in your house. We have our smelly books that belonged to Grandma outside in the gazebo. Now I can put that bookcase in Craig's greenhouse. I wonder if I should ask him first?

One of those old musty books is, “The Furnace of Gold”, by Philip Verrill Mighels. It was written in 1909 and is an excellent romantic mystery book in the gold rush days. I'm so glad I didn't throw it away. I'm known for doing that from time to time. By the way, I just discovered you can read the complete book on-line for free.

Do you remember the old song, “What's Behind the Green Door?” Recently, I painted the door on the greenhouse a bright green color. That's appropriate, right? Now you know what's behind the green door - plants. I just thought of one thing I need in library #2. I need a chair and a foot stool. Our lawn furniture will work just fine in the greenhouse. It is a good thing Vic make the greenhouse as big as he did.

While I was in the mood of painting doors green and had the brush loaded with green paint, I found another door that needed painting. When the neighbors built their 70-foot barn wall down our east property line, they added a door to nowhere (like that bridge to nowhere), but without a doorknob. So, of course, that door had to be painted green also. Now when my friends ask what's behind that green door? I say, “I don't know because I can't open it.”

You already know about the White House; now you know about my Green Library.

I enjoyed your visit. See you next week...
Juanita