Saturday, March 16, 2013

Who Do You Worship?

Amidst the cold rain of the night, faithful followers in Rome patiently stood under their umbrellas. Six minutes past seven o'clock in Vatican City, white smoke rose into the air on the second day of the papal conclave as cheers and shouts were heard from the crowds. Television networks captured the joy and exuberance of the people. The bells sounded in St. Peter's Square in honor of Pope Francis.

This display of adoration for the new pope reminded me of a Kenny Rogers concert at Oregon State University on Mom's Weekend many years ago. When Mr. Rogers appeared on stage, students and guests alike rose to their feet with applause and cheers. They stood and sang along with him the entire evening while he sang their favorite songs. That was my first experience attending a secular 'worship' concert.

Isaiah quoted the Lord: “I will bring them to my holy mountain of Jerusalem and will fill them with joy in my house of prayer . . . my Temple will be called a house of prayer for all nations.”

Jesus quoted the same Scripture when He reprimanded the Pharisees. "The Scriptures declare, 'My Temple will be a house of prayer,' but you have turned it into a den of thieves."

This celebration within the Catholic Church today caused me to ask myself a couple questions as I remembered what Jesus said about the temple in Jerusalem. What is my attitude when I enter the sanctuary of my church? Do I cheerfully sing and shout with praise to my Lord? Do I show as much enthusiasm as Catholics did today? They showed respect to a leader who is only human. Is my worship to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords worthy of all He is?

In the book of Revelation, John describes a glorious worship service. “Then I heard again what sounded like the shout of a vast crowd or the roar of mighty ocean waves or the crash of loud thunder: "Praise the Lord! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.” Amen!


Belated Birthday Wishes to:

Brayden
Morris
Barbara L.
Jane

Happy Birthday, Suzanne
Happy Birthday, Sharon
Happy Birthday, Lois
Happy Birthday, Brogan (on St. Patrick's day)
Happy Birthday, Taelor
Happy Birthday, Margaret

Happy 50th Anniversary, Peter & Julie !
Happy Anniversary, Ron & Joyce !

Juanita  
P.S.  The beautiful red-tailed hawk didn't recover.  High voltage power line  permanently damaged his feet; therefore, he wasn't able to catch dinner.
Sad, huh?

Reply: folks7777@gmail.com