Saturday, August 11, 2012

Money Talks

My tea went cold while I was writing this. Join me in another cup.

If this election cycle lasts much longer, it will make me rich or at least give my husband coffee money. Everyday (except Sunday) I walk the one-eighth of a mile to my mail box and carry a load of mail back to the house, of which I throw away nine out of ten pieces.

One mail delivery lady told me, “Junk mail is our job security.” Yikes! Will we receive more unwanted mail just to save the Post Office from bankruptcy?

Every Wednesday, an elderly man with a speech impediment, probably my age, delivers a local valley newspaper full of Hollywood news and local grocery ads. My least favorite topics! I don't have the heart to inform him to skip my house. Someone pays him five cents for every paper he delivers, so I save the unopened papers for the Eugene Mission.

To get my attention before I throw away the mail, “they” place a penny, nickel, quarter, and then today, a Kennedy half-dollar in the window of the envelope. Now, who wants to throw that mail away without first retrieving the money? They ask me to hold the coin in my hand while I read their urgent letter. I never heard of these men or organizations who want my money to support their cause. I admit I do feel guilty disposing of their postage-paid return envelope. Is it legal or moral to cut off the stamp for my personal use?

Last year I received an 'important' letter with a one dollar bill inside. I placed the money in my wallet, said “thank you” and put the advertizement in the bulging burn sack.

Today, do you see a new side of me? I'm trying to say, “No one can pay me to support their cause.” This post sounds similar to an Op Ed piece in The Register-Guard. Yikes, again!

Morris, you're right. I always have an opinion.

                     No, the picture is not up side down. 
                                I'm laying in the hammock today.

Happy Birthday, Loretta !

Juanita

Comments: email folks7777@gmail.com.