Saturday, May 24, 2014

Dog Days


Why are dogs considered man's best friend? Maybe because they listen, but don't offer advice.
As a child, we had a wavy black cocker spaniel. I remember a mostly happy childhood, but during my sad times, Blackie became my friend and a good listener. She cried with me as we sat in the backyard and I told her all my troubles as an eight-year old.
Several years later, we owned a light brown cocker. Taffy disappeared one day and we assumed someone stole her.
Daddy decided to raise Weimaraners, a hunting dog breed, so we moved to the country, rented a ranch and bought a female named Lady. My father's adventure didn't last more than a year because the first time Lady came in heat, Daddy tied her in the horse trailer to keep any unwanted neighbor dogs away. Most dogs do not appreciate being tied up and Lady didn't either. She tried to make her escape, but the rope was too short. Daddy didn't have the heart to continue with his dog business after that fatal experience.
The ranch didn't have drinkable water, so we returned to town. The former rental was still available, so we purchased the house and moved back in. About two months later, Taffy returned home. I missed her and I knew she obviously missed me by the way she smiled and wagged her tail.
In 1980, my husband read an ad in the paper advertising smooth collie pups for sale. Anyone who watched the movie, Lassie, knows how pretty and smart a collie is. But Craig was not familiar with the look of a smooth hair collie. As a puppy, her coat was short, but we assumed the hair would grow. It didn't. Visualize a beautiful, long-haired collie, then shave it. Not a pretty sight! We bought the pup from a down-to-earth family. They named her Spinach. An odd name, but we couldn't imagine a better one. She became a great family dog and we called her Spin for short.
Other dogs came and went at our home, but I hope these few stories took you back to your childhood or awakened memories of your best friend.
 Happy Birthday, cousin Carolyn !

Juanita