Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Pleasant Day at the Pond

The cooing of Eurasian collared doves in a nearby tree, the waterfall splashing on the rocks six feet below the falls, the flapping of our American flag in the breeze makes a inviting day to rest in the garden shade. I'm sitting by the koi pond with a good book and a writing tablet. The koi are somewhat distracting as they jump and dive, trying their skill at catching flying insects. 

 
Craig attends a three-day church conference, so I'm in charge of watering flowers and pulling weeds. I hope the weeds cook and die as the temperature rises. The weatherman will hit his target today for sure. I wonder how he knew this day would be the only time this week the temp would rise above 95 degrees in the valley.
I just moved the lawn sprinkler. That's one great way to cool off!
Guess how many times the jumping koi woke me up. Three times! They sounded like someone fell in the pond.
I could sit in the air-conditioned man cave, but I chose to sit here in the shade and write to you. Thanks to the Internet, I avoid the task of writing 108 separate letters. And envelopes, too!
As I sit and enjoy my surroundings, I'm reading an old paperback written in 1936 by Bruce Corbin. He wrote, “It is a startling fact that no man ever owned anything. No man owns anything now. All he has is the use of God's possessions. God created the world for His own pleasure and for man's use.”
We live on our land, pay the taxes, and manage the garden, but I thank God everyday for His gift of life and strength to maintain this property, our temporary dwelling place. I'm reminded of the Biblical words concerning Abraham: He looked for a city which has foundations whose builder and maker is God.
The author Corbin was expecting the holy city to appear in his lifetime. Are you, as well?

Happy 31st Anniversary, Joyce & Gabby
Happy 28th Anniversary, Barb & Hal
Happy 60th Birthday, Barb - sorry, I just had to tell-it's such a nice round number. But I'm way, way ahead of you!

Juanita