Saturday, July 9, 2011

Let Freedom Ring

Good morning! 

Will you join me in a cup of tea? My best girlfriend from first grade, Lois Ann, visited us from Montana last week and brought me a new brand of tea as a gift. Ahmad Tea from London. Shall we try a cup? The tea possesses a bold, but not bitter taste, flavored with bergamot. I love it.
       Our flag's reflection in our fish pond.

The Fourth of July arrived and passed, and with it, all the neighborhood noise – finally. It sounded like a war zone for several days. I'm sure Daisy, our yellow lab, feels more content now that the boom and pops stopped. Whoops! I spoke too soon. There goes another one. Today, I thought about the veterans from the Vietnam War. I'm sure the noise of the fireworks brings back memories they hoped to forget. I had a cousin who you wouldn't dare wake from a sound sleep because of his experiences. I'm sure it is the same for every soldier in every war.

We visited a Baptist church last Sunday and proudly sang several great patriotic songs. I wanted to quote two verses of “My Country, 'Tis of Thee” by Samuel F. Smith because the words mean just as much today as they did in 1831. Did you know that other authors wrote more verses making a total of thirteen?
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From every mountainside
Let freedom ring!
* * *
Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King.
May God continue to bless America!
Sincerely, Juanita
folks7777@gmail.com