Saturday, September 29, 2012

Memories

Thanks for joining me in the library today. I know some of you are attending the Gideon convention this week and I'll see you there.

There are certain songs we will never forget, even when we have forgotten everything else. I experienced the memory of the elderly in action Sunday afternoon.

A retired pastor and his wife come twice a month to the complex where my mother lives. The couple bring their keyboard and guitar. They use a song book of a dozen old hymns, like The Old Rugged Cross, Onward Christian Soldiers and Amazing Grace.

I like to attend the gospel sing-along for three reasons. One, I love the old songs; two, the older men and ladies bless me as I watch them sing; and I get to sit beside my mother.

Some of the people are not able to follow along on the song sheet, but as soon as they hear the tune, they sing from memory. Some will close their eyes, tap their feet, smile or just hum. One lady in the room reclined in her chair and snored most of the time. Another lady looked totally confused with the page numbers (and didn't want me to help her). She didn't know what number followed a certain number, but she knew the songs.

It is sad to think how many people are effected with dementia. I read that half the elderly people will suffer with it. So between you and me, one of us will have a normal memory in our later years. Isn't that encouraging! Now I'm sorry I mentioned it. Anyone want to go for a healthy walk with me?


Happy Birthday, Aunt Leona !
Happy Birthday, Sharyn !

Proverb of the week:

          Proverbs 16:24 NLT
Kind words are like honey— sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.”

Juanita
Reply: folks7777@gmail.com