Saturday, July 23, 2011

Doves and Doors


Good morning, friends.

“This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118.24 NLT

Do you see doves in your yard? Four of them visit us quiet often. I usually see them in pairs. Barbara, today one visited my 'purple' garden. It appeared alone, looking lost. I stood still and watched it for several minutes. Most birds busily look for worms in the lawn, but doves prefer seeds. This mourning dove just tiptoed back and forth by the lavender bushes. When I moved, it flapped its noisy wings and flew away. I hope it located its mate.

When you see a dove, what do you think of? I always think about Old Testament sacrifices. Poor people offered a pair of turtledoves. Mary and Joseph offered this sacrifice at the temple when Jesus was eight days old. I'm not sure if we have mourning doves or turtledoves in our yard, but they fascinate me with their sad, mournful bird call.


I take advantage of our neighbor's barn wall whenever I can. I decorate it with antiques; I paint pictures on their windows. They originally painted their window glass black so we couldn't see their stuff which I appreciated. Last year, I painted their door a green color. I really don't know what's behind this green door because there is no handle on the door. Until this week. I painted black hinges and a door handle. I knew you wanted to see it, so I took a picture for you.

I know summer will be here for sure next week because I've scheduled a luncheon at the pond.

Juanita
folks7777@gmail.com